Terenure

A place to be remembered

The St. Josephs Church Terenure

To Contact Us:

 

St. Josephs B.N.S. ,

Terenure,

Dublin 6,

Ireland

 

Phone Number: 353-1-4906095

Principal: Mr. Matt Hume

Web Administrator: Mr. Declan Donnelly

Web Address: www.stjosephs@terenure.ie

Website Editors: Cathal, David, Fergus & Aaron.

Email Address: Info@stjosephsterenure.ie/

office@stjosephsterenure.ie

St. Joseph's Church Terenure

             There was no church of any denomination in Terenure until the second half of the 19th Century.  Previous to that, the churches in Rathfarnham provided sufficient accommodation for the residents of Terenure.  In 1865 Canon Byrne the parish priest of Rathfarnham, undertook to provide a church and schools for Terenure.  He purchased a large field near the crossroads as a site and called a public meeting where £150 was subscribed for the erection of two schools.  Before the schools were completed Canon Byrne learned that the Presentation Sisters were coming to Terenure to open a girls’ school and decided to convert his proposed girls’ school into a chapel of ease.  This small chapel was opened in September 1866 and was the only one in Terenure until the present St. Joseph’s was dedicated on 24 April 1904.

In 1916 Fr John Healy became parish priest.  His greatest work in Terenure was the erection in 1920 of the truly magnificent three-light stained glass crucifixion window behind the high altar, one of the masterpieces of Harry Clark.