Schools in Lucan
It seems thatSt. Andrew's school is the oldest in Lucan. There were classes held in the church around 1826. In 1827, a new school was opened across the road from the church. This building is now being changed into apartments. Another building was built beside the Liffey in 1884. This served well until the present building was opened in 1972.
There were also some private schools in the 1930s, costing about £2 per quarter, or 6 pence per week.
The school at the Hollow, on the Newcastle Road, had about 140 boys and 130 girls on roll in 1864. The girls were then moved to a schoolhouse in Lucan where St. Anne's Hall is now, and the boys were moved to a new school building in Chapel yard, Lucan.
In 1867, the Presentation Sisters came to Lucan and opened their convent. A new school was built in 1896 (costing £2000). The next extension was in 1954. There have been further extensions to the school over the years.
Archbishop Ryan National School is one of the newest schools in the Lucan area. The building was opened in 1988, making it the only school in Dublin to be opened in Dublin's Millenium year. It is named after Archbishop Dermot Ryan, who was born nearby. It now has over 400 pupils, as the area is growing rapidly, with new housing estates being built all around the school.
In 1969, the Irish Christian Brothers opened this school. It is a secondary school for boys. There are over 500 students there at the moment. There are no Christian Brothers teaching there at present.
There was a boys' primary school in the grounds of the chapel from 1864 to 1965. In 1965, a new building was built on the Chapel Hill. The large three-storey extension seen here was built in 1974. Click on the photo to see the 1965 building, which is still in use.
This building was built in 1987 to replace the old Lucan Vocational School in the Village. It is on the Newcastle Road, besideScoil Áine Naofa and St. Thomas' National School. The school offers adult education courses as well as the normal Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate courses. It is the most modern school building in the Lucan area.
There are two schools on this campus - a girls' primary and a girls' secondary school. The Presentation Order of Nuns, who set these schools up in 1867, have since left, but the schools continue under lay management.
This school caters for children in third, fourth, fifth and sixth class primary. It is on the same site asSt. Thomas' National school. It opened in 1980, and has about 400 pupils at present.
This school is at the edge of the parish of Esker. It was built in 1985, to cater for the growing number of children in the area. It has all classes from infants to 6th class.
This seems to be the oldest school in Lucan. There seems to have been a school here since 1826. The present building was built in 1972, but there were two other buildings, one built in 1827 and the other in 1884.
St. Thomas' National School is on the same site asScoil Áine Naofa, just behind St. Patrick's Church , Esker, on the Newcastle Road. It caters for junior children (infants - 2nd class).
Return to home Page